Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What's in a Name?

The Mayberry-esque exclamation "what in God's name..." is something beyond quaint for me these days. I've been thinking a lot about God/G-d/Yahweh/Elohim/Adonai/Jehovah/Allah/... What is in a name? More particularly, what is in "God's name?"

Names are given to distinguish an individual from others of its own kind. A thingy is a plant is a flower is a rose is a white rose is a... Names lend specificity, distinction.

But what about this God character we keep prattling on about? I am of the belief that there is one good, living, loving, intentional, creative reality that IS within, without and all around us. Our best impulses, thoughts and actions are seeped in this reality. Our "sins" are attempts at blocking, violating or turning away from its omnipresent flow. I believe Christ to be a brilliant manifestation of this reality in flesh. We, too, are called to be brilliant manifestations of this IS. That's my best current understanding of that which is far beyond my ability to communicate or even comprehend.

So how can we come to name it God? Do we really need to distinguish it from others of its own kind? What others?

No, the names we give to the reality -- the foundation and energy and impulse of all that is Shalom and beyond -- don't serve so much to distinguish the One from other gods. It serves to distinguish us from each other, making us peculiar. Separate. Rivals. Our various names for the good, living, loving, creative reality are so many team jerseys or - worse - military uniforms. How myopic. How misguided. How tragic. How mortally flawed.

For some who read this, it may seem I am breaking the rules of being a Christian pastor. The Christian pastor I am becoming is less and less about fences, more and more about open fields. I guess the pastor has been led out to wide pasture. Where are you flocking these days?

6 comments:

  1. We are of parallel, perhaps even like minds on this one, Corey. I think where I differ further from the common concept of God is I have moved miles from the anthropomorphic view- that "God created us in His likeness" being interpreted as "God is humanlike".

    Anger, jealousy, even pettiness being traits in the God of the Old Testament seem wrong to me. I read it somewhere yesterday, to paraphrase- "A god that has the worst of human traits ceases to be superior."
    I have heard unbelievers reverse the notion to say, "Man created God in HIS own image." I have come to feel that may be more on the mark.

    But I "stray" a bit further. I see God as a much more benign entity. I believe God "hears" and answers prayers, but only those expressed with intent and feeling and not merely uttered or repeated incessantly. (How much like the child on the long trip repeating "Are we there yet?" that would feel to such an entity.) I see each of us as a trinity, (I didn't say 'holy' trinity), in that we are at once corporeal, one-minded and part of the spiritual whole of life in the Universe. That "spiritual whole", to my thinking, is God.
    Peace.

    I like it here in the field, meadow, whatever. It's not a pasture. They tend to be fenced-in in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice if a new "word" or name was given for the one almighty that we share. Something new to all religions and instantly we all accepted that name. No matter what religion we followed or military uniforms defend us.

    I saw previews for a new TV show which has the premise that the world stops for 2 or 3 minutes during which everyone loses consciousness (but has visions of their futures...). Maybe during that bit of time we would all accept a new title for our God. Get to work on that Corey--the new TV season starts soon!!

    I think you are headed in the right direction. We need to open up ourselves to others of different religions and beliefs if we are going to flourish...even survive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That can certainly be hard on the herd. Care to unpack that statement, Lars? Sounds like an interesting avenue for conversation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am of the belief that there is one good, living, loving, intentional, creative reality that IS within, without and all around us."

    My experience leads me to theorize there is one, living, reality that is within, without and all around us that is no more loving, good or intentionally creative than the oceans meant to create life on Earth — but it is conscious anyway. I omitted those human values you mentioned in your belief from my theory because the degree to which they manifest, if at all, in individuals is too contingent to claim such inevitability and elimination of free will.

    It seems to me we are conscious of the universe through a mental hologram our mind maintains of our environment composed of our cellular sensations. The universe is aware and as curious about itself as we, its cells, each are born, to color in the big picture, growing more complex. You find no adequate name, for an aware universe is not a thing, but the way of everything. As they say, "Don't ask a fish about water."

    ReplyDelete