Sunday, February 7, 2010

Go Away, Little God

Isaiah 6:1-8 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew.
And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory."
The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke.
And I said: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"
Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: "Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out."
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I; send me!"


Luke 5:1-11 Once while Jesus was standing beside the lake of Gennesaret, and the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, he saw two boats there at the shore of the lake; the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets.
He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat.
When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch."
Simon answered, "Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets."
When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break.
So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink.
But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!"
For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish that they had taken; and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people."
When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.


In the year that Judah's earthly king dies, Isaiah is called from his ordinary life to that of a prophet, and the semi-hallucinatory experience is fraught with bold, subversive sentiment:
1.The immortal Lord is seen on a kingly throne at a time when the Judean monarchy has once again shown its frail, mortal nature.


2.Solomon's temple, in all its massive glory, can barely fit the hem of God's robe. Even this giant religious wonder of the world will not contain God.


3.God's attending angels take a hot coal from the altar and fly past high priest, attending clergy and ranking officials to recruit some punk kid as prophet.

We religious folks often fall into the mindset that our churches are something like God-dispensers. The intended effect of all this glorious architecture at such massive scale is to somehow communicate loft of concept and enormity of God. But instead, we often see it as a pinpoint location for holiness: a holy post-and-tether to keep God properly in the yard, and not digging in the neighbor's garden or wandering off into town.

Isaiah's message is not simply that the Temple is too small to hold God, but that it is also too small to hold God's will and wisdom. Those impossible seraphs flit past all those priests and politicians for a reason: God will do what God will do, and choose whom God will choose. So not only might it be better to worship under the stars of the night sky, at some precipice of the Grand Canyon, or at land's end facing out into the ocean if we want to experience the enormity of God. We also might better fall to our knees at the maternity ward or morgue with our prayers of intercession. We might better lift our voices in hymns of praise at the soup kitchen or on the shop floor. We might better offer our sacrifices to strangers on cold sidewalks and in hushed late-night conversations, staring at the bedroom ceiling with those most intimate.

So I say “Go away, little God.” I yearn beyond a God that demands only a 7th of my mornings. I hear beyond the voices of Reverend and Doctor. I see the horizon beyond the steeple, and the possibilities beyond even our most rarefied, incense-saturated air. A cathedral god seems too fixed and petty for me. I like a good show, but I prefer a good impulse. I enjoy ancient ritual, but thrive on a profoundly present Is.

Doesn't it all come down to what we learned in Mrs. Lewis' 2nd grade Sunday School class? God is everywhere – truly a revolutionary concept! God is not merely huge. God is ever-present and implicit. God is right at the tip of our tongues and at the core of our better natures; in both our grandest gesture and our smallest kindness. We are not simply of use to God, we can be most-favored conduits of holiness.

Jesus proves the point as he recruits his disciples. His prophetic ministry visited temple and synagogue, yes, but was most definitely of the streets. His was a holiness that played across children's faces and swam in widow's tears. Shouts of acclamation and songs of praise sprang best from leprous lips and hungry mouths.

The typical pictures of Jesus with his Pepsodent smile, anglo-saxon nose, and Tide-sanitized, blindingly white robes does us a grave disservice. Ours is a messiah who was no doubt caked in the dust of the road and the filth of his followers. Ours is a face-to-face Christ. Ours is a face-to-face faith.

And isn't that the core of the prophetic message? The Holy One is not limited to large buildings and the big picture, but is liquid and rampant, ready, willing and able to flow through all we say and do with each other, if only we would allow the flood gates to open and the blessings to pour out. If only we had the gall and the guts amid so much glory and grandeur to simply say: “here am I, send me!”

3 comments:

  1. Through a lifelong contemplation of what God truly is, I've come to the conclusion of fluidity as Corey expressed it. I don't see God as a human-like entity separate from ourselves, but as the very essence of life that permeates all existence. Along with that, I've come to suspect that we all share one soul and that the idea we all live our own lives is an illusion- that there is but one continuous life in which we all play our part- a Life that does not die, but continues from past through future as physicality comes and goes. Our only distinctions between one and any other among us are born of that physicality. Same life, through time. Same soul forever. Only our physical manisfestations are temporary.
    I have come to believe God is that big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I see God kind of like my father. I can also see and understand Him in a smaller, less humbling sense.

    I'm aware that God is all around me and that "He is everything." Now, I put that in quotes because when I say or hear someone say that "He is everything" I don't imagine him as everything. When I see a fire hydrant I don't think "Hey! That's God." When I see flowers and trees, I think it's God but only because this is His creation. Some people see God as the force. It connects us, surrounds us, and gives us strength. I believe this to some extent. I guess for me, my experience with God has been more a cradling one. When I fall, he's there with a stretched out hand saying "I am here to pick you up." I believe he cradles us and protects us when we need it most.

    Like my father, I believe that somehow we are all connected through Him. I don't necessarily know if we share a soul but we are all connected somehow. Human beings, whether we want to admit or not, are all the same. We eat the same foods, we breathe the same air, we watch the same tv shows, we listen to the same music, we laugh the same, sing the same, and dream the same.

    Personally, I believe I can worship God outside of a church. I've prayed under a starry night (by the way, last night's sky at about 10 pm was amazing), in the shower, or laying in bed at night when I've had a hard time sleeping. It's my belief that God is with me no matter where I am and so I'll pray, worship, and believe regardless of where I am. However, whenever I am in a church there's a completely different feeling. Maybe it's the atmosphere of everybody praying at once or maybe it's just all in my head; I don't know.

    I hope I didn't miss the point of this topic or lose anybody along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son, never worry about missing the point on this blog. Like most good pastors, my brother, your uncle, will tell you that provoking spiritual thoughts and/or causing people to stop and think, to contemplate, is a wonderful product of any teaching. What one doesn't want is someone who just sits and nods and takes nothing in.

    I have a hard time not crying in church. A room full of people steeped in God is a beautiful thing and tends to touch me profoundly. I found just about two years ago that there are few hymns I can make it through without tearing up. It isn't that I am moved by the lyrics or music, but just the mood, the palpable essence in a worshipping body.

    I take this as evidence that my theories may hold some truth. For me, the afterlife may well be a return to the all-being, the being-all.

    If you'd known me when I was your age, I was much harder emotionally- capable of witnessing gut-wrenching events with nary a tear nor quivering lip. Today, I seem to feel what I see others feeling. I don't mind this softening of the heart. Indeed, I suspect if I did not allow my heart to soften, I would perhaps harden my arteries.

    ReplyDelete